Swelling is a very common problem that can happen to anyone. Swelling can occur due to many reasons including pregnancy, consuming opposite foods, hormone changes, or injuries. However, when the swelling is excessive, it can add to the pain and also lead to other complications. You can prevent excessive swelling by beginning immediate treatment. There are many natural remedies to cure the swelling completely at your home. Here are some of the most effective remedies for swelling.
1. Elevation: Elevate the affected area by putting them on a higher surface. Do that for 30 minutes, three times a day. When you’re in bed, put a few pillows under the affected area. Elevation improves blood circulation, which in turn provides relief from discomforts like swelling, inflammation and pain.
2. Compression: Compressing the injured area is another effective way to reduce swelling. It provides stability and prevents fluid from accumulating in the affected area, which in turn aids in reducing pain and swelling. Wrap a bandage using even pressure around the affected area. Keep the bandage on during the day until the swelling reduces. Remember to remove the bandage before you go to sleep.
3. Epsom Salt Soak: Epsom salt is very effective way to reduce swelling and pain after an injury. Epsom salt is made of magnesium sulfate, which improves blood circulation and relaxes stressed muscles. You can start using Epsom salt 48 hours after the injury has occurred. Mix 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt in a small tub filled with warm water. Soak the affected area, such as a foot or hand, in it for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat up to 3 times a week.
4. Massage the Painful Area: Massaging the affected area is extremely relaxing and improves your blood circulation. Use gentle but firm motions, and always go in the direction of the heart.
5. Turmeric: Turmeric is a good remedy for relieving pain and swelling. The curcumin in turmeric contains antioxidant as well as anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain and swelling. Prepare a paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Rub this paste over the swollen area and allow it to dry. Rinse it off with warm water. Repeat 2 or 3 times daily until the swelling and pain is gone.