Suffering from a canal pain is a painful experience which makes you feel miserable. Root canal is a space within the root of the tooth, where there is a soft pulp of tissues and connecting tissue. When this living tissue is infected due to a decay, root fracture or abscess, then it leads to throbbing pain. Swollen gums, redness, and sensitivity to cold or hot drinks are few symptoms the root canal pain. The main symptoms are localized pain, redness and swelling of gums, swelling in the gum of the nearby teeth. Although you should see a doctor when you experience such a pain, you can try some home remedies to control the pain and other symptoms caused by the infected root canal. Here are some home remedies for root canal pain.
1. Ice Pack: Ice is one of the best ways to soothe the inflamed gums and root canal pain. You can put ice cubes wrapped in a cloth on your face for about 5 minutes. It will give you relief from the pain. If you don’t get relief with this treatment, try putting ice pack for 15 minutes instead of 5, for at least 3-4 times a day.
2. Salt Water: It looks like a very simple process but it is very effective in treating the root canal pain. Take a tablespoon full of common salt and put it in a glass of warm water. Gargle thrice a day to get relief from the pain. You can also hold the water in your mouth around the affected area for as long as possible for added benefit and spit it out later.
3. Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil has proved efficiency in treating acne and blemishes, but it is also equally effective to cure the pain of root canal. Put a few drops of tea tree oil in a glass of lukewarm water and rinse your mouth with that solution for an effective pain relief.
4. Onion: This method has proven great results in treating pain caused by a root canal. Cut an onion into slices. Place an onion slice in the mouth. Suck the juice coming from it. Remove the onion after few minutes. Repeat the process few times in a day.
5. Cucumber: Cucumber is well-known for its pain relieving and cooling properties. It can provide you instant relief from a toothache resulted due to a root canal. You can take a slice of cucumber and put it on the affected tooth inside the mouth. Repeat the process to get the best results.