These little creepy pests called fleas are a nightmare for every pet owner. These wingless creatures remain hidden in your lawn and badly affect the health of your pet. There are several products available to get rid of fleas, but these products contain chemicals that may harm the skin of your puppies and cat. So, you should try some herbal homemade remedies to do away with fleas. Here are some effective home remedies for fleas with which you can not only kill the fleas but can also control their recurrence.
1. Rosemary: Using rosemary is a very effective way to control flea problem in your home. Boil water and add fresh rosemary in it. Let it boil for about 30 minutes. Then, wait till it reaches a lukewarm level. Now, add more water depending on your pet’s size. The rosemary water works great when applied in a lukewarm state. Soak your pet in this water and let your pet dry naturally.
2. Boric Acid: Boric acid acts as a desiccant or a dehydrating agent which causes severe dehydration in fleas due to which they are killed. You need to sprinkle boric acid wherever you doubt there may be fleas, their larvae or eggs.
3. Flea Spray: Instead of buying a commercial flea spray that may contain chemicals, you can make your own herbal flea spray with natural ingredients. Take one cup of apple cedar vinegar and mix it with one-quart fresh water. Now add 2-3 drops of cedar or lavender oil. Fill this mixture in a spray bottle and shake it well. Spray this solution on your pet’s hair.
4. Lavender: Buy some lavender and add it in boiling water. Keep it overnight. Now strain the lavender water and fill this mixture in a spray bottle. Take a flea’s comb. Spray this lavender mixture on your pet’s hair and comb gently. Lavender will kill all the fleas and leave a really pleasant smell. Brush out all the dead fleas and throw them away.
5. Salt: Salt can get you rid of tough fleas, especially from your carpets. Salt becomes a dehydration agent for fleas and dries out their bodies. Fill up your spice bottle with fine salt powder leaving a little room on the top so that you can shake and sprinkle the salt from it. Sprinkle the salt over your carpets in each room. The salt should cover the area evenly. Leave for 12 to 48 hours. After 1-2 days, vacuum thoroughly.