Pneumonia is a common respiratory disease characterized by inflammation of the tissue in one or both the due to a bacterial, viral or fungal infection. If you have pneumonia, you may experience symptoms like cough, fever, shaking chills, chest pain, and shortness of breath. In most cases, it occurs as a mild condition and clears up in two to three weeks. However, it can become very serious and may even prove fatal. The treatment for this condition usually depends on the type of pneumonia you have and the severity of symptoms. It is always advisable to seek medical advice, but if the symptoms are not severe, you can try some of the following home remedies.
1. Cayenne Pepper: Cayenne pepper helps the body release mucus from the respiratory tract, which helps clear the mucus from the respiratory system. Fill a jug with 250ml of water, add 1 tsp of lemon juice and sprinkle a little cayenne pepper. Drink the water, at least, 4 to 5 times every day.
2. Garlic: Garlic is a natural remedy for pneumonia in adults since it has anti-bacteria and antiviral properties. It helps bring down the body temperature as well as clears the phlegm from the chest and lungs. Mix one cup of milk in four cups of water and add one-half teaspoon of crushed garlic to it. Boil the solution until it reduces to one-fourth of the original amount. Drink it three times a day.
3. Fenugreek: Fenugreek helps remove toxins from the body through perspiration. It also helps clear any congestion in the chest. Make fenugreek tea by boiling one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in two cups of water. Strain and drink four cups of fenugreek tea a day. Reduce the amount you drink as you feel better.
4. Potassium Broth: Potassium is beneficial for people suffering from pneumonia. It repairs the lung tissues. Make a healthy broth by mixing and boiling garlic, radish, carrots, celery, parsley, and water. Strain it. Take this mixture on a daily basis. You should avoid this remedy if you suffer from heart ailments since too much potassium can be harmful to your health.
5. Steam Inhalation: Steam helps fight infection and improves breathing by relieving coughing and congestion. Boil water in a pot and add a few drops of essential oils such as eucalyptus, lavender, tea tree, lemon, or camphor oil. Inhale the steam from this solution. While inhaling, cover your head with a towel so that the steam does not escape.