Undergoing a gastric bypass can be a thing that changes your life forever. This is not a surgery you can undo or reverse. Therefore, you should be fully prepared to have this surgery both physically and mentally. IF you are well prepared for this life change, your recovery and healing will be smoother and easier. And will make adaptation period shorter. Here are some things you should do before having this surgery:
1. Learn all about the surgery. Make sure you know all about the procedures of the surgery and that you are fully aware of what is going to happen. Talk to those who have had this surgery. It is also recommended to join support groups and online forums for people who have been through this experience.
2. Look through your older, smaller-in-size clothes. This can save some money instead of trying to buy new clothes.
3. Get some easey-to-wear comfortable shoes. Bending and kneeling can be difficult for a while after the surgery. Therefore, buy a few pair of shoes that are easy to wear such as slip ons. Avoid shoes with laces, straps, heels…etc.
4. Ask for a leave of absence from your work for 2- 4 weeks and ask or hire someone to help you with house chores. This is not an appendectomy or a tonsillectomy. This is a dangerous surgery and underestimating proper rest after it can have severe repercussions.
5. Consult your doctor on the medicines and the supplements you are going to need after the surgery. This surgery will force you to eat very little amounts of food. It is true that you are going to lose weight, but you will lose many vital nutrients with this surgery as well, and you will be needing vitamins and supplements as a result.