Eggplant is a unique vegetable that is native to Indian subcontinent and it now grows in many tropical and semitropical regions throughout the world. This low-calorie vegetable is quiet versatile that can be grilled, baked, sautéed, cooked, and fried. Most importantly, eggplant is very healthy food as it is loaded with fiber and a list of vitamins and minerals. If you don’t know how eggplant can be beneficial, here we review 5 health benefits of eggplant.
1. Combats Cancer: Polyphenols in this veggie, such as delphinidin, protect cells from damage caused by free radicals, prevent the development of tumors, and stop the spread of cancer cells. Other compounds such as anthocyanins and chlorogenic acid have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects on the body. Having high levels of antioxidants in your body will make sure that organ systems throughout your body are protected from harmful infections and diseases, including cancer and heart disease.
2. Improves Brain Function: Eggplants are wonderful sources of phytonutrients, which have been known to increase cognitive ability and benefit overall mental health. They fight free radicals activity as well as promote blood flow throughout the brain. More blood flow transports higher amounts of oxygen to your noggin, which enhances memory and analytic thought.
3. Assists Anemia: The ample flesh of this purple plant has many essential minerals, including iron and copper, which assist in improving the health of red blood cells within your bloodstream. Eating foods with these compounds can significantly boost energy and strength, and eradicate feelings of exhaustion or worry. In addition, the copper present in eggplant also plays an important role in reducing the risk of anemia.
4. Weight loss: Since eggplants contain almost no fat or cholesterol, it is a very healthy food for people trying to lose weight, or battle obesity problems. The fiber content is also very filling, which inhibits the release of ghrelin, the hormone which tells our mind that we are hungry again. By filling us up and reducing our appetite, the chances of overeating are greatly reduced, so weight loss attempts are more successful.
5. Controls Blood Sugar Level: Due to its high fiber content and low soluble carbohydrate content, eggplants are an ideal food for managing diabetes. Eggplant extracts can inhibit an enzyme that causes type 2 diabetes by controlling glucose absorption and lowering blood pressure which can lead to hypertension.