Shea butter is a solid fatty oil that is extracted from the nut of the African shea tree. Being edible, shea butter is a popular ingredient in cooking. But it also has many beauty benefits, making it the most sought after ingredient in most beauty products across the world. It is widely used in several beauty products such as lotions, cosmetics, shampoos, conditioners and many more. If you don’t know how you can use shea butter for beauty purposes, here’s how shea butter can work wonders for your skin and hair:
1. Natural Moisturizer: Shea butter has incredible moisturizing properties and that is the main reason people grab it. It contains the same compounds or saponifiable fractions present in the sebaceous glands of our skin and hence applying shea butter on the skin moisturizes it as effectively as the natural moisturizing glands.
2. Anti-ageing: Shea butter contains a high antioxidant content, which helps promote youthful skin. Plus, vitamin E present in shea butter helps fight wrinkles and reduces signs of aging.
3. Sun Protection: Another reason Shea butter is considered an anti-aging wonder is its sun protection properties. The anti-inflammatory properties of shea butter help in reducing damage caused by UV rays or the sun. Shea butter is considered as the best skin care for winter and after-sun care as it provides the extra moisture, nutrients and protection needed by your skin during the cold season and summer.
4. Soft Lips: Shea butter is also a good source of Vitamin F that acts on chapped and rough skin to soothe it. The moisturizing property along with Vitamin F & E make your lips soft and supple. It is easily absorbable and provides extra moisture and nutrients that are needed during the cold season and dry weather.
5. Stretch Marks Prevention: Using shea butter can help restore elasticity and make the stretch marks less noticeable. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that help reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Massage the shea butter into the stretch-marked skin daily, for at least 10 to 20 minutes.
6. Hair Care: Shea butter can act as a natural conditioner for the hair due to its and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties also help reducing dandruff and itchiness of the scalp. The moisturizing properties and the presence of Vitamin A and E also help in locking the natural shine of your hair and repairing the damage caused due to harsh weather or chemical treatments.