Dark underarms are an embarrassing problem that many people have to deal with. They feel scared of raising their arms and think hundred times before wearing a sleeveless top which make them feel annoyed. There are some main reasons that can cause dark coloration of the skin in the underarms including shaving, using chemicals laden hair removing creams, poor ventilation in the armpits region, buildup of dead skin cells, and regular use of alcohol based deodorants. Fortunately, you can easily get rid of your dark underarms by using simple, effective, and natural home remedies and that is what we will discuss in this article.
1. Potato: Its mild acidic properties make it an effective natural bleaching agent and it also doesn’t irritate the skin.
• Rub a thin slice of potato on your underarms for about 5-10 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
• Or you can also grate a potato and apply the juice to your underarms. Then let it dry for 15-20 minutes, and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
2. Lemon: Lemon contains powerful antibacterial and antiseptic properties which help effectively in lightening skin and in exfoliating dead skin cells. But it can dry out your skin, so consider applying a moisturizer after using it.
• Rub your underarms with lemon slices for a few minutes every day before a shower.
• Alternatively, add ¼ teaspoon of honey, plain yogurt, or turmeric powder to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Apply this mixture underarms and massage for few seconds. Let it sit for 10 minutes then wash it. Apply this remedy 3 times a week.
3. Vinegar: Vinegar is an effective remedy to lighten the skin color and it also has a big efficiency in killing the bacteria that feed on dead skin cells.
• Make a thick paste of rice flour and vinegar.
• Take a hot shower and then apply this paste on your underarms.
• Leave the paste to dry for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
• Use this remedy 3 times a week.
4. Baking Soda: Baking soda can act as a great exfoliating scrub that makes your underarms look white and bright. This scrub removes accumulated dead skin and damaged skin cells, kills germs and unclogs the skin pores. Using baking soda for underarms helps in preventing your body odor so you can avoid using deodorants and antiperspirants.
• Mix baking soda with water to form a thick paste.
• Gently scrub your underarms for a minute.
• Rinse it with water and pat dry the area thoroughly.
• Repeat 3 or 4 times a week.