Not long ago I’ve heard this story: a girl wanted to make a super effective detergent. So, she thought about combining different cleaning and disinfecting agents. Once she did, a poisonous gas was emitted and it nearly killed her. There are certain materials that shouldn’t be mixed together because the result can be harmful or even fatal, such as:
1- Batteries of different trademarks. One of the main components of batteries is battery acid. But different companies use different types of acid. Battery acid could leak so, if you are storing batteries together, leaking acid could cause fire hazard.
2- Detergents with bleaching agents and liquids with alcoholic components. Bleaching detergents contain sodium hypochlorite and alcoholic liquids contain ethanol or isopropyl alcohol. When those components come together they make hydrochloric acid, chloroform, dichloroacetone or chloroacetone, all of which are highly dangerous gases.
3- Another two cleaning components that should not be combined are ammonia and bleach or bleach containing detergents. Combining those two materials will yield a highly dangerous gas that is toxic and explosive.
4- Vinegar and detergents with bleaching agents are another two things that shouldn’t be combined, because in case they are, the result is the toxic gases, chlorine and chloramine. These two gases are highly dangerous and can cause damage to your eyes and respiratory system.
5- While it is true that combining baking soda and vinegar is not dangerous, it shouldn’t be done nonetheless. You might be combining them thinking you are getting a wondrous cleaning solution, but what you are really getting is salt and water, a waste of money.
6- Ibuprofen and alcoholic beverages are another two things that shouldn’t be combined. It is bad enough that taking ibuprofen can damage the lining of your stomach, but add some alcohol to the process and it is like drinking gasoline and a burning matchstick together.