Onions are an essential part of many delicious dishes, but chopping them can make you think twice because they make you cry as if you just saw a very sad movie. But, thank god there are many ways that can make us cut the onion without shedding tears. But before we get through them, we need to know first why do onions make us cry? Synthase is the one to blame. Synthase is a tear-inducing enzyme. that converts the sulfoxide molecues that are released when an onion is cut, into sulfenic acid. The sulfenic acid, on the other hand, rearranges itself into a chemical that floats in the air. When it comes into contact with your eyes, it can cause an irritation, which can make your cry. But no more tears, here are 5 easy ways to cut onions without crying.
1. Freeze the Onion: Chill the onion in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting it. Doing so will reduce the amount of the acid enzyme released into the air and has zero effect on taste.
2. Soak it in water: This is one of the most effective ways to chop the onion without tearing. Cut off the ends of an onion and then peel it. Now cut it in half and soak it in a bowl of water for 15 minutes. The gas dissolves in the water and you will not have teary eyes while you cut the onion. But take care because onions tend to become slippery when soaked in water so make sure you cut it carefully and don’t cut yourself as you chop the onion.
3. Chew Gum: Chewing gum while cutting onions prevents tears by forcing you to breathe through your mouth, which helps keep the gas away from the sensitive inner lining of your nose and tear ducts.
4. Light a Candle Before Chopping: Light up a candle right next to you while you are chopping onions. The flame will burn most of the tear-creating onion juices out of the air.
5. Use a Fan: Running a fan to blow away the fumes of the onion in a direction away from you, is also another method to protect your eyes when you cut the vegetable. The fan helps dissipate the gas and prevents it from entering your eyes.