Aluminum foil has become a very popular helper in kitchens across the world. These handy metal leaves provide a pliable substance that works as a total barrier to light and oxygen, ideal for packaging food and other perishable items. Most of us use aluminum foil solely for cooking purposes and we don’t know much about the different purposes aluminum foil can be used for. That is why, in this article, we share 6 surprising ways you can use aluminum foil in your everyday life.
1. Clean jewelry: To clean your jewelry, simply line a small bowl with aluminum foil. Fill the bowl with hot water and mix in one tablespoon of bleach-free powdered laundry detergent (not liquid), such as Tide. Put the jewelry in the solution and let it soak for one minute. Rinse well and air-dry. This procedure makes use of the chemical process known as ion exchange, which can also be used to clean silverware.
2. Sharpen scissors: Using foil is one of the easiest ways to sharpen a pair of dull scissors. Cutting foil with scissors actually sharpens the blades. Fold over used foil into seven or eight layers and then slice several times for sharpened scissors.
3. Fix loose batteries: The springs that hold the batteries in place can lose their tension after a while, letting the batteries loosen. Fold a small piece of aluminum foil until you have a pad that’s thick enough to take up the slack. Place the pad between the battery and the spring.
4. 4. Protect Plants: Young outdoor plants such as pots of tomatoes or herbs may need protection from worms and other pests. Wrap a strip of foil around the base stem of any plant to prevent critters from crawling up.
5. Move furniture with Ease: To slide big pieces of furniture over a smooth floor, place small pieces of aluminum foil under the legs. Put the dull side of the foil down — the dull side is actually more slippery than the shiny side.
6. Scrub your Pots: Along with simple baking soda, foil can be your way to go when something needs a good scrub. Foil can not only scrub pots and pans (non-stick only) but oven doors and barbeque grills as well. It also removes rust from steel and chrome.