It is very satisfying working smartly in your kitchen; here are few kitchen hacks that will save you time and effort.
1. If you want to check an egg’s freshness, drop it in a cup of water; if it floats then it is gone bad…if it sank then it is a fresh one. (rotten eggs release gas that makes the egg float like a ballon).
2. You can keep hard cheese from drying out by spreading butter on the cut sides. Cheese dries out when it loses some of its fat content. So rubbing it with butter prevents that.
3. If you keep vegetables in drawer in the fridge; then line it with paper towels to keep it fresh. Paper towels absorb any moisture. Don’t use rice since the moisture can be too much making it go bad.
4. If you want few drops of lemon; don’t cut it in half. It is way better to push the lemon against a hard surface (like your table) and then poke the lemon with a knife and squeeze out few drops, or else the lemon halves will dry out.
5. A slimy mushroom is very repulsive; avoid that by wrapping it in paper towels and then store it in the fridge.
6. Prevent eye-watering effect when cutting an onion by chewing a gum. You can also cut the part where the roots are and wash their place off of onion juice that causes the irritation of your nose and the tears.
7. Get rid of onion or garlic scent on your hands by simply rubbing your hands on a stainless steel surface or pan. If the smell is still there, wash your hands with soap mixed with a bit of sugar or lemon.
8. In case of dropping oil on the floor, sprinkle a lot of salt or flour over it and wait a few minutes, the substance will absorb the oil and you’d be able to remove it easily with a broom.
9. In case of burning your hand, and you don’t have ice cubes or frozen vegetables, cover it with flour instantly. Rub it with an ointment afterwards to make sure the burn doesn’t leave any mark.
10. A major part of why we love carrots is their crunch. If a carrot has lost its crunch; drop it in iced water with a slice of potato.