Healthy vaginas often do have smells. Generally, these vagina scents aren’t awful and every vagina has its own special smell. This smell is a combination of the normal bacteria that reside in your vagina, your diet, what clothes you wear, your level of hygiene, how much you sweet, and what your glands secrete. In the following part, we will explain how is normal vaginal odor suppose to smell like and when you should think that something is going wrong.
1. Fishy Scent: If you are noticing a fishy smell coming from your vagina, it could be a sign of a medical problem. This smell is usually caused by vaginal infections such as bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis. Bacterial vaginosis is an infection linked to an imbalance of bacteria in the vagina, while trichomoniasis is a sexually transmitted disease caused by parasitic trichomonads. These two conditions make your vagina smell fishy, sometimes with a white or gray discharge.
2. Metallic Scent: It is a normal thing to find that your nether region has a metallic scent when your vagina comes in contact with semen or blood during your period. Both of these things can temporarily change the pH of your vagina which leads to the metallic smell. The metallic smell should be temporary, so if it lasts after your period is gone, you should check with your doctor.
3. Yeasty Bread scent: If there is a yeast or bread odor coming from your vagina, then you may have a yeast infection. Yeast infections are usually accompanied by other symptoms such as thick white discharge and itchiness. When you notice this smell, this may be a sign of having a yeast infection from bacterial vaginosis or other infections.
4. Rotten Odor: If your vagina resembles the smell of smoothing like old trash or a dead rat it may be a sign of a tampon gone astray. This usually happens when you have a tampon up there that you forgot to take out a couple of weeks ago. In this case, you need to visit a doctor immediately to extract it.
5. Musky Scent: If you’re smelling a heavier and slightly more musky version of your vagina’s usual scent, this means that you’ve been sweating a lot, or wearing tight underwear. By washing your nether region with some mild soap and wearing looser clothing, everything will be okay.